4 tips for natural hair
- It is time to enjoy your kinky, coily hair and wear a beautiful loose afro. Your natural hair likes heat and humidity, so let it enjoy the summer time! During the summer, your wet hair dries quickly and heatless, forming these curls you love so much.
The secret: daily moisturizing. The easy way to get a beautiful afro: apply a leave-in on soak wet hair, insisting on the edges, let it dry without using heat or pre-dry with an hair dryer, head upside down, to create a big afro with lots of volume. In this case don’t forget to spray your hair with heat protection before using your hairdryer.
The day after, your afro may be slightly flattened after the night. The secret to restore its shape and shine: moisturizing using a spray. Start with ¼ cup of distilled water. Add some coconut oil or any other light oil l(almond, apricot or olive). Shake and spray your hair as necessary to get it shaped.
- Free, exposed to the sun and rubbing against clothing, chairs folders etc. your hair down will weaken, dry out and can get damaged. Do not neglect regular nourishing care, for example based on shea butter. However, when choosing products, be sure to avoid hair butters and during the summer. Hair butters could weigh down your hair, decrease its volume and suffocate it. Water based products are a better choice.
If you wear wigs or a protective hairstyle, you shouldn’t neglect using cream or oil to moisturize and refresh your scalp, refraining it to get itchy because of the sun.
- On vacation, the combination of sea, pool & sun is lethal to your hair. If you do not take care of it, it will get dry, dull and brittle as you get back from holiday. For sure, you can opt for a protective hair style as braids, which will reduce manipulation and risk of breakage of your hair. But such a style makes the rinsing and caring step after swimming more difficult.
The most effective trick, no matter if you wear your hair down or not for swimming: saturate your hair with distilled water before swimming in the sea or pool. Your hair will absorb less salt or chlorine if it is already “filled” with distilled water.
- During the summer, you may want to wash your hair more often because of the heat, sweating or after swimming in the sea or pool. It is ok to do it because your hair will dry relatively quickly and generally loves the water. However, the damage risk can come from the products you use to wash it.
The trick: after swimming in a pool or in salted sea water, do not use shampoo, because the reaction with chlorine residuals will be dangerous for your hair. Just cleanse your hair with clear water to remove any chlorine or salt residues, and then use a conditioner to wash your hair (co-wash) and then apply moisturizing natural oil or a leave-in. For deep cleansing of the scalp, you can use apple cider vinegar.
3 tips for relaxed hair
- Don’t relax your hair just before leaving on vacation or immediately after your return, in order not to weaken it before or to let them get a chemical treatment when they have just been weakened.
Enjoy your vacation; trim your edges when you are back, if necessary, and start the next season with a “new head”.
- Avoid using heat during the holidays. Leave your hair dryer and your flat iron at home! With the heat and humidity, there are good chances that your straight hair style does not last more than a few hours. So why would you impose this unnecessary stress to your hair? Especially if you are planning to enjoy the pool or the seaside. In addition, there’s nothing worse than blow drying your hair on a hot summer day: you’ll be sure to sweat as hell and won’t avoid frizzing.
- Do not give up on your headscarf at night. Although holiday is time to relax, allowing you not to think that much about hair care, keep the good habit of covering your head with a scarf before sleeping and / or use a satin pillowcase (especially not cotton). Friction in the night is the first breakage source to avoid.